Automatically log in a specific user

General support regarding TimeTrex, such as
configuring policies/taxes or processing payroll.
Kendash

Automatically log in a specific user

Post by Kendash »

I know for example I could use something like:

Code: Select all

https://demo.timetrex.com/interface/html5/#!user_name=john.hancock1&password=demo 
To enter the username and password automatically. How would I tell it to automatically log the specific user in? Is that possible?

The reason would be I am running my software through a separate UI. The UI on a button press will insert username and password into the URL dynamically and I would like for it to go ahead and log the user in so they do not have to press login button. Ideally I would also like it to take them to a specific page like #!Schedule

Is this possible through just the website url. Or would I have to program my command button to do it through my custom UI?
shaunw

Re: Automatically log in a specific user

Post by shaunw »

That is not possible nor recommended due to security reasons of course.
Kendash

Post by Kendash »

Let me give little more info. This is the local install that I will be using once HTML5 version is out. I will not be posting it to a website for my employees to access. IT will be ran strictly through a specific UI. They will not have access to a web browser to input the command. I would control that. All they have are buttons to press.

The reason I want said behavior is the button is programmed to pull the user's login from my UI and use that as the login for timetrex. WHen they press the button it should log them in and take them to a specific page.

There will be no way for someone to log in as another user using this method unless they actualy log in as that user into my ui... so the security check is the same.

Maybe I should approach this differently.. Sorry to bother you.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Except that the URL containing the username/password will be stored in the web browser history for all to see, and there are clever exploits that allow other websites to access that information too.

We use it only for public demonstration purposes where the username/password should be public, it should never be used for any other purpose.
Kendash

Post by Kendash »

I understand. I guess I should reword my question then. I am not using a web browser for the employees to access TimeTrex. I am using an html viewer on a terminal PC they have no access to a web browser. The TimeTrex web server is not connected to the internet. They do not have access to the address bar of the HTML viewer. The html viewer is driven by Buttons I make in my UI.

What I am trying to do is integrate it into my UI (Not TImeTrex UI) so when specific user logs into the UI (Not TimeTrex UI) navigate to the TimeClock portion of the UI (NOT TIME TREX UI) they press a button and it automatically takes them to their own TimeTrex account (TimeTrex UI). When they log out of the UI (Not TimeTrex UI) it will log them out of TimeTrex.

I know I can use the API for most of that.. its calling that API from my UI thats the issue. I was trying to work around that through making calls through the HTML viewer instead.

EDIT: Maybe I should just rethink the process. I cannot even word it correctly for you to understand what I am doing :P