New Employee Username must be Lowercase

Topics brought up by the TimeTrex open source community.
bgrorud

New Employee Username must be Lowercase

Post by bgrorud »

I could not find this addressed in another post. Recently we tried to add a new employuee to our system (Community Edition v9.0.12) and after creating the employee they were unable to log in. We have out of habit always created all our usernames in Uppercase and that is how the employee logged in. I have found that all employees, the username is shown in lowercase, but employees that were previously entered can log in with either uppercase or lowercase on the username.

Additionally I was told, that someone else when they were a new employee a couple years ago, that also HAD to use lowercase to login, but now it works either way.

Is it something where a new employee can only have a lowercase username? I do know that if you try to save it as uppercase, it changes it to lower when you go to view that employee, but just find it odd that existing users can login with uppercase usernames, but new ones cannot.

-Brad
shaunw

Re: New Employee Username must be Lowercase

Post by shaunw »

usernames have always been case insensitive (upper or lower case doesn't matter), however passwords used to be case insensitive 1-2 years ago or so but now they are case sensitive.

Also keep in mind that if an employee makes too many failed login attempts their IP address is locked out for a period of time so no password will ever work until the lock has expired.
bgrorud

Post by bgrorud »

So the fact that a new user setup on our system could ONLY log in if they used all lowercase was an anomaly? I will have to see if I can reproduce with another new user. I will also check if now that they have gone through the initial "change password" prompt if it will now allow you to log in if you type uppercase.

-Brad
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Check the "users" table in the database, are the usernames uppercase?

They should all be lower case, as TimeTrex forces them to lowercase unless you have manually modified the database yourself, in which case all bets are off.
bgrorud

Post by bgrorud »

That part I checked and it does force to lowercase. If you type in the Username as upper, save, then go back into it, it is switched to lower. I'll test the rest the next time I am on that system later this week.