Overtime calculation help

General support regarding TimeTrex, such as
configuring policies/taxes or processing payroll.
oyeaussie

Overtime calculation help

Post by oyeaussie »

Please see attached images for all the information (including versions)

I am trying to configure the OT policy in a way that if an employee works more than 8 hours a day, the calculation excludes anything more than 8 hours. The employee wage in example is 40 per hour, so 40*8 should be 320, but you will see that the calculation is 324 instead. How can we exclude the extra 6 minutes from the calculation.

Thanks.

The system is ubuntu 18, running php 7.3 and timetrex was installed using apt.

Also, I ran recalculate after making any modification to the configuration. Still no go.
Attachments
version.jpg
version.jpg (108.18 KiB) Viewed 158286 times
policy_groups.jpg
policy_groups.jpg (90.86 KiB) Viewed 158286 times
OTpolicy.jpg
OTpolicy.jpg (54.07 KiB) Viewed 158286 times
paycode.jpg
paycode.jpg (45.75 KiB) Viewed 158286 times
payformulapolicy.jpg
payformulapolicy.jpg (58.85 KiB) Viewed 158286 times
report.jpg
report.jpg (53.92 KiB) Viewed 158286 times
report_2.jpg
report_2.jpg (94.09 KiB) Viewed 158286 times
wageofemployee.jpg
wageofemployee.jpg (44.55 KiB) Viewed 158286 times
mikeb

Re: Overtime calculation help

Post by mikeb »

Can you please include a screenshot of the employees timesheet showing the overtime, after you click the "Show Wages" icon to the right of the date field.
TimeTrex Community Edition is developed and supported by volunteers.
Help motivate us to continue by showing your appreciation!
oyeaussie

Post by oyeaussie »

Please see attached screenshot.
Attachments
timesheetwithwages.jpg
timesheetwithwages.jpg (226.63 KiB) Viewed 158276 times
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

I see, due to the complexities of overtime policies, TimeTrex will only trigger overtime policies that increase the employees rate of pay, not decrease it. Since you are trying to use an overtime policy that decreases the employees rate of pay, TimeTrex is ignoring it.

Its very unusual that you wouldn't be paying employees for working more than 8 hours, so if you can provide more information as to your actual use case we may be able to find another solution for you.
oyeaussie

Post by oyeaussie »

Sorry for the late response, the forum doesn't seem to be sending me emails for updates.

We don't have overtime in our company, so if the employee has worked > 8 hrs per day, they don't get paid for that time.

As chances of clocking out every day will never result to exact 8 hours, it will either be above or below 8 hours. Below is fine, as the calculation will generate proper amount. But over 8 hrs, it should be considered as the day MAX pay an employee can get.

By adding 0 amount to the overtime calculation should solve this. As if someone worked for 8:10 mins. 8 hours should be regular wage calculation + 10 mins * 0, which should result in 0 and adding them together should give us the day MAX wage for that employee.

We don't want to round the 8:10 to 8:00 as we would like to monitor the extra hours spent in the office as well.

Thanks.
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

You would have two options then:

1. Round the punch time to their schedule (strict rounding), however keep in mind that TimeTrex still allows you to see the "Actual" non-rounded time for reporting purposes.

2. Use Premium Policies to calculate all pay, rather than regular time and overtime policies. This will complicate your setup somewhat, but should give you more flexibility to allow what you want. Essentially you would leave your existing regular time/overtime policy and set them both to paid at $0/hr, then setup premium policies that are based off of each, paid at whatever rate you want. Since premium policies don't have any of the restrictions that overtime policies do, the rates can be whatever you want.
oyeaussie

Post by oyeaussie »

So I tried both options and failed to achieve what I wanted to.

1) I used the rounding policy and added Day Total 15 mins with a strict schedule. See image. Applied and recalculated the timesheets, no difference? Total time 8:08 remained 8:08. Expected that to go down to 8:00.

2) Premium time did the trick for max day total. Someone who worked for X minutes extra, premium deducted those X minutes. But, the problem here happened that, if an employee works a half-day, the Gross Total Salary for the day included the rest of 8 Hours. See the attached image.

I think I am missing some configuration with Premium policy. But, the rounding just doesn't seem to round the time properly.
Attachments
HalfDayEmployeePremiumTime.png
HalfDayEmployeePremiumTime.png (83.05 KiB) Viewed 158251 times
PremiumPolicy1.png
PremiumPolicy1.png (30.33 KiB) Viewed 158251 times
PremiumPolicy2.png
PremiumPolicy2.png (30.19 KiB) Viewed 158251 times
RoundingPolicy.png
RoundingPolicy.png (17.3 KiB) Viewed 158251 times
PolicyGroupWRoundingPolicy.png
PolicyGroupWRoundingPolicy.png (37.42 KiB) Viewed 158251 times
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

oyeaussie wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:49 pm 1) I used the rounding policy and added Day Total 15 mins with a strict schedule. See image. Applied and recalculated the timesheets, no difference? Total time 8:08 remained 8:08. Expected that to go down to 8:00.
Recalculating timesheets does not re-apply rounding policies. You have to edit a punch and re-save it to have the rounding policy applied. This can be done on mass though.
oyeaussie wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:49 pm 2) Premium time did the trick for max day total. Someone who worked for X minutes extra, premium deducted those X minutes. But, the problem here happened that, if an employee works a half-day, the Gross Total Salary for the day included the rest of 8 Hours. See the attached image.

I think I am missing some configuration with Premium policy. But, the rounding just doesn't seem to round the time properly.
In your Regular Time Policies, they need to be linked to a Pay Formula policy that is unpaid or at $0/hr. So only the Premium Policies have a hourly rate above $0.
oyeaussie

Post by oyeaussie »

The rounding worked great. Is there a way to show pre-rounding total on the timesheet or somewhere for the employee to see what was time was rounded from?
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

If you view the punch it will show an "Actual Time" field which is pre-rounded. Also in most TimeSheet related reports there are "Actual Time" related columns, though those are mostly for administrators and not employees.