TimeTrex Update

Ask your questions regarding TimeTrex installation here.
ITSupport

TimeTrex Update

Post by ITSupport »

Hello,

I just need instructions on how to update timetrex. We're staring to see some erroneous time entries and I noticed we have this warning at the top bar:
WARNING: This Timetrex-Debug version (v11.4.4) is severely out of date and may no longer be support. Please upgrade to the latest version as soon as possible as invalid calculations may already be occurring.

We are on the "Community Edition - on site) Version.

If there is a thread that answers this, please point me to it, I wasn't able to find one in here.
I'm also guessing I should have all users out of timetrex and/or they will be booted during upgrade?

Thank you,
shaunw

Re: TimeTrex Update

Post by shaunw »

The upgrade procedure is the same the original installation procedure that you would have performed. Unfortunately since you didn't provide any real details regarding your system, I can't provide much more details to you than that.

Additionally, TimeTrex also has an automated upgrade procedure built-in and enabled by default, which I'm guessing you have manually turned off for some reason, as it would keep everything up-to-date for you automatically.
ITSupport

Post by ITSupport »

Hello,

We didn't actually install TimeTrex, it was the previous IT company, and we know nothing of/never worked with Timetrex, so we're at a complete loss.
I thought I included the version number but I guess I didn't.
"TimeTrex Workforce Management Community Edition On-Site V11.4.4"
I found already installed the "TimeTrex Community Edition On-Site Installer" - could I use this existing installer or should I be using a new one?
As for the automatic updates by keeping "installer_enabled=TRUE", in the ini.php file this was already set to FALSE by whoever installed it previously.
When I set it to TRUE nobody can log into Timetrex as it stays in maintenance mode.

So I guess my question is. Am I fairly safe to set installer_enabled to "TRUE" and click the "re-check" button using the existing installer?
Also does everyone need to be out of timetrex when I perform the upgrade?

This is the screen I'm on: (attached)
Attachments
timetrexinstall.PNG
timetrexinstall.PNG (40.88 KiB) Viewed 10577 times
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

The web-based installer that you are referring to is the 2nd stage of the installation/upgrade process that handles system requirement checks and database schema updates. You need to first upgrade TimeTrex itself before running it, otherwise it won't actually do anything. While it is safe to run anytime, it won't serve any purpose running it with v11.4.4 as its already been run for that version.

The first thing we need to figure out, is what operating system and OS version do you have TimeTrex installed on?
ITSupport

Post by ITSupport »

Hello Shaun,

Thank you for getting back to me.
The client is on Windows Server 2012 R2 Version 6.3 Build 9600.
Let me know if you need any further information.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Okay, so my guess is that the auto-upgrade functionality was either disabled manually, or stopped working because Windows 2012 is no longer supported by Microsoft or TimeTrex. While it may be possible to upgrade TimeTrex to the latest version, we wouldn't recommend it as its not tested nor supported and almost certainly will result in service disruption.

Instead we would recommend that you upgrade your server to a supported operating system first, then upgrade TimeTrex from there using the TimeTrex Windows installer executable file available from our download page.
ITSupport

Post by ITSupport »

Hello Shaun,

Would this be compatible if we moved timetrex to a Windows 10 vm and then updated?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Windows 10 is definitely supported. Please see the following FAQ on instructions on how to properly migrate TimeTrex from one computer to another:
https://help.timetrex.com/v12.0/communi ... to_another