Setting Up OverTime Policy

General support regarding TimeTrex, such as
configuring policies/taxes or processing payroll.
lsanchez_gutierrez

Setting Up OverTime Policy

Post by lsanchez_gutierrez »

Our company will require an Overtime Policy to be set up for the weekends. Normal schedule is from M-F with 8 hour work days. The following is a schema of how the overtime would work:

The employees regular time wage x 2, is setup in "Rate: 2". The issue comes with calculating the time. The time worked will always be multiplied by 2, and if the total time is less than 4 hours it will be rounded to 4 hours. If the time is more than 4 hours it will be that amount.

Time x 2 = TotalTime, if < 4 hours rounded to 4 or else it will be TotalTime.

Example:

1 x 2 = 2, since < 4, round to 4, TotalTime = 4
3 x 2 = 6, since > 4, TotalTime = 6

and so on.

How would you recommend me to address this issue?
Luis Sanchez
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

You will need to use a Premium Policy instead of an overtime policy, as you can set minimum/maximum times with the premium policy.

Beware though that overtime policies can be applied as well as premium policies on the same day.

Employees also get paid for all the regular time they work, so the premium policy rate would normally be just 1.00 instead of 2.00 because they are already getting regular time for those hours + 1.00x for premium time.
lsanchez_gutierrez

How does the Minimum and Maximum Time work in the Premium Policy. Does it round or is it just a limit?
Luis Sanchez
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

They are just lower and upper limits. So you had mentioned that if they punch in for less then 4 hours, they need to get paid for a minimum of 4 hours, so setting the minimum time to 4 hours will do this.

However, thinking about this some more, I don't think it will do 100% of what you want. Because even though the premium policy will pay them for a minimum of 4 hours, TimeTrex will only pay them their regular rate for the time they punched in, not for a minimum of 4 hours.

So it would look something like this:

____Sat_____
In: 8:00AM
Out: 11:00AM
Total: 3.00hrs
Regular Time: 3.00hrs
Premium: 4.00hrs

I think we would need to add "Minimum Time Policies" before TimeTrex will be able to handle this scenario 100%. Having a minimum time policy would also make it so regular overtime policies would work just fine.
lsanchez_gutierrez

As you mentioned:

"premium policy will pay them for a minimum of 4 hours, TimeTrex will only pay them their regular rate for the time they punched in, not for a minimum of 4 hours."

For the moment I can work with the Minimum and Max Time. but a way to link premium policies with rounding policy would be nice, that way if the employee punches in for 2 hours, it will be rounded not to an interval of 15 minutes, but to a certain amount of hours.

Thanks for the help
Luis Sanchez
lsanchez_gutierrez

I setup a Premium Policy, Hours Based, Starting at 1:00am until 11:59 PM, on Sat and Sun with Pay Multiplied by Factor of 2 to the Earnings - Premium Account. The employee has a Monthly Salary. He punched in on Sat from 11AM to 4PM, but that earning of his is not reflected when I generate his pay stub, but it is in the TimeSheet, specifying 5 hours of Premium Time. The system shows me an exception, because he is scheduled to work from M-F from 10-7.

Are these settings correct?
Luis Sanchez
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

What version of TimeTrex are you using?

As well, does the employee have his "Average Time / Week" set in his wage? Without that TimeTrex can't calculate an hourly wage, so it can't apply overtime or premiums properly.