Regular Time Amount keeps changing depending on days in month

Topics brought up by the TimeTrex open source community.
mbernardo

Regular Time Amount keeps changing depending on days in month

Post by mbernardo »

Hello,
I am using TimeTrex cloud edition for payroll (Ontario, Canada). I am the only employee. I want to get paid the exact same amount on the 1st and the 15th every month. I have noticed that depending on how many days there are in the month, and if there are holidays, the Earnings Amount will be more or less. There is also a 'Vacation - No Accrual' line under Earnings which appear after I configured the vacation pay to not accrue. I just want it to be included in the regular salary. This amount also differs from month to month.

1: How do I get paid the exact same amount on the 1st and the 15th?
2: How do I get rid of the Vacation pay or at least get it to pay the exact same amount each time?

Thanks in advance.
mikeb

Re: Regular Time Amount keeps changing depending on days in month

Post by mikeb »

In the employee record, under the "Wage" tab, make sure you have specified an Annual or Monthly Salary wage, rather than hourly.

As for vacation, to disable it completely, just unassign yourself from all Vacation Tax/Deduction records.
TimeTrex Community Edition is developed and supported by volunteers.
Help motivate us to continue by showing your appreciation!
mbernardo

Post by mbernardo »

In the employee record, under the "Wage" tab, I already have specified a "Salary (Annual)" value from the drop down. I have the following values:

Type: Salary (Annual)
Wage $: 86538.50
Average Time/Week: 40:00
Annual Hourly Rate: 41.61
Labor Burden: 0
Effective Date: 2023-01-01

But the "Regular Time" amounts keep changing. See the sample pay periods below:

Pay Start / End Date: 2023-05-01 to 2023-05-15
Hrs/Units: 88.00
Regular Time: $3,605.77
Vacation - No Accrual: $160.03

Pay Start / End Date: 2023-05-16 to 2023-05-31
Hrs/Units: 88.00
Regular Time: $3,272.89
Vacation - No Accrual: $184.48

They both show 88 hours but the amounts are different.

To "unassign myself from all Vacation Tax/Deduction records", I did the following:

Employee > Employees > Me > Edit > Tax > Deleted "Vacation No Accrual"... is this correct?
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

According to your annual salary, $3605.77 is the correct semi-monthly wage. We would need to see the timesheet and pay stub for the pay period before that to see why it calculated $3272.89, but if there was any absences entered on the timesheet, that is likely why it was reduced.

As for removing the Vacation No Accrual, what you did was correct.
mbernardo

Post by mbernardo »

According to the TimeSheet Detail Report, I was absent on Monday, May 22, 2023 (Total Absence Time of 08:00). This is because this was a statutory holiday in my country. In the Statement of Earnings, there is a line for "Statutory Holiday" with an amount of $0.00. I made a system change to not count holidays, so I guess I should have punched in on holidays as well if I want equal payments?
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

In Canada its proper to account for Statutory Holiday and paid Vacation separately, even for salaried employees, since this information needs to be broken out on the Record of Employment, among other things.

As such, TimeTrex is configured by default to do things properly. If you wish to not have it do that, it requires turning off all that functionality and re-configuring the entire system to essentially do things "incorrectly".

Punching in/out on the holiday wouldn't be correct unless you actually worked that day. We never recommend entering incorrect data into TimeTrex, as garbage in equals garbage out.
mbernardo

Post by mbernardo »

In the companies I used to work for, I got paid equal amounts on the 1st and 15th all year regardless of absences, holidays, and vacations. I can change back the settings so that I don't have to punch in on statutory holidays. But before I made changes to the 'Vacation Accrual', there was a 'Vacation Accrual' line in my Statement of Earnings every time I paid myself. This kept growing in every pay stub and it was pushing my annual salary above my base. Is this the 'correct' method? If so, should I have reduced my base salary to account for the vacation accruing? I just want to get paid $90K a year.