Account Component of Pay Stub

Topics brought up by the TimeTrex open source community.
titania

Account Component of Pay Stub

Post by titania »

My question is about pay stub amendment and its impact in pay stub report
This is an illustration of my problem:
My goal is to have a "Performance Salary " component in pay stub report.
That account is intended to give additional salary based on employee's performance in every pay period. So, it is proportional to a performance allowance amount.

Here is the example:
Performance allowance: 2,000,000
and in the end pay period, the performance of employee X based on his supervisor's marke is 50%.
So, his performance salary is 50% x 2,000,000 = 1000,000

My idea is:
- create a pay stub account, name "Performance allowance", and add pay stub amendment with that pay stub account for employee X, then set the fix amount to 2,000,000.
- create a pay stub account, name "Performance salary", and add pay stub amendment with that pay stub account for employee X, then set the amount to 50% of "Performance Allowance".

but the problem is I don't know how to configure so that the Performance allowance will not become a component of pay stub report..??

anyone can explain me?
Last edited by titania on Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Make the performance allowance account an accrual account (or employer deduction account) instead of an earning or employee deduction account. It will still appear on the pay stub, but only under accruals so it won't be paid out but is just displayed for informational purposes.

If you want the performance salary to withdraw from the performance allowance you can set that up in the pay stub accounts as well.
titania

Post by titania »

shaunw..
below is what I have tried to follow your guide..but I am not too sure what I have done is what you really mean..so please correct me..:

In pay stub accounts menu:
I make "performance allowance" account with type of "accrual account",
Then make "performance salary" with type of "earning account" and choose accrual combo box to "Accrual-Performance Allowance"

In Pay Stub Amendments menu:
For an employee E, I create a pay stub amendment with pay stub account set to "Accrual-Performance Allowance" with fix amount to 2000,000
Then I create one more pay stub amendment with pay stub account set to "Earning-Performance Salary" and amount type is percent, which is 50% of "Accrual-Performance Allowance".

But, when I generate the pay stub , it fail with this note
"1. Earnings don't match gross pay"

what does it mean ??
I am loss here..

thanks for your help ..
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

It sounds like you've done everything correctly, I just ran a test here and it worked great.

You might want to try deleting all the PS amendments for the employee and generate the pay stub to make sure it works, then add one PS amendment at a time and generate the pay stub after each to see what is causing the error.
titania

Post by titania »

I've tested it again.
Actually it still fail if I apply to an employee which I used as a dummy data that produce this problem.
But, the same error ( description "Earnings don't match gross pay" ) only appear when I set the percent to value greater than 30%.
When I set the percent to value less or equal than 30, it work correctly, like you have said.
I still don't have a clue to find the reason.

Then I tried to create a new employee, and try that scenario (set the percent to value higher than 30%), and it work correctly....

For the first case , I am still embittered why th error only happen when the percent is higher than 30%.

Shaun,actually I have more questions, but I think I should to post it in different thread.

very thank full for your help....
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

What version of TimeTrex are you running? I wonder if its simply a rounding issue.

For the original employee who was giving the error, try a fixed amount that is equivalent to 30% or more and see if that works instead.
titania

Post by titania »

I run timetrex that was installed from TimeTrex_Standard_Edition_v2.2.5-linux-installer.bin
I have tried the windows version for that edition, and it works well.
but since the platform required is linux, I still confuse about that problem.
titania

Post by titania »

shaunw,
I have just installed again the TimeTrex_Standard_Edition_v2.2.5-linux-installer.bin,
I try the scenario again, set 100% percent, and edit to some fewer percents.
I don't get the error anymore..

thank you shaunw..
Last edited by titania on Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
titania

Post by titania »

Shaunw..
below is a diffferent problem but stiill about the component of pay stub..

here is the illustration:
I set the pay stub amendments for "Performance allowance" and "Performance sallary" in pay period of March. When I test the generated pay stub in the next pay period, that is for April, the amount of that account in pay stub is 0.

I think, the effective date field when adding a pay stub amendment means that once we set a pay stub amendment in a pay period, it also will happen in the next pay periods. ( am I right? )
I hesitate with my thinking since when a pay period has been closed, the status of pay stub amendments in the pay stub amendment list is "PAID", which make me confuse whether the pay stub amendments will really happen in next pay period or not.
what is wrong with it?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

No, a PS amendment will only appear on a pay stub where the pay period covers the effective date of the PS amendment.

For example:

Pay Period Starts: 01-Jan-08 ends 15-Jan-08.

The effective date MUST fall between those dates for it to appear on that pay periods pay stub.
titania

Post by titania »

But, what I found is that the pay stub amendment account still appear in next pay period, with amount 0.
It is contra with what you say that it will only appear on a pay stub where the pay period covers the effective date of the PS amendment.

If the rule of pay stub amendments is actually like you have said, so, can I use timetrex to create some additional accounts that will appear on pay stub in every pay period with only one setting in current pay period and also will be applied in the next pay periods ?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

If a pay stub account appears on a pay stub even once in a given year TimeTrex will continue to show it on subsequent pay stubs so the employee knows the YTD (Year to Date) amount. Once the new year starts TimeTrex will no longer show these accounts unless they are used again.

This has nothing to do with PS amendments unless the PS amendment originally caused the pay stub account to be used in the first place.
titania

Post by titania »

shaunw..
I read the administration guide, and in the recurring pay stub amendments section, I read this paragraph:

"Recurring PS amendments are simply scheduled PS amendments that are
automatically inserted at a specific frequency, most often each pay period.
They are especially useful for recurring earnings/deductions such as
employee contributed group benefit plans or union dues."

Reading that section, make me think that I can reach my goal to have some additional accounts in pay stub that are automatically inserted at a specific frequency, that is for every pay period. Again, I think, that is contra with your explanation.

am I right with my understanding?
very thank you for your explanation, and I am really sorry if I disturb you..
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Sorry, I don't understand your question.