Rounding Problems

General support regarding TimeTrex, such as
configuring policies/taxes or processing payroll.
Nox

Rounding Problems

Post by Nox »

Ok, I've been trying to figure this out, but I have hit a wall due to my inexperience with payroll systems.

I need to be able to show the actual punch times (or imported punch times) on reports.

I also need the system to round the punch times for payroll purposes (so a few minutes early in or late out is not calculated as overtime.)

The problem I have run into, when I imported my punches when rounding was enabled, it rounded all the punches and I could no longer see the actual punches. Now that I have started over and imported the punches without a rounding policy enabled, I don't know how to round the punches for pay purposes.

What can I do to fix this?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

You will need to import the punches with rounding enabled.

TimeTrex will round all the punches, and show those to you on the timesheets and for payroll purposes. In order to see the "actual" times, you will have to generate a punch summary report and select the "actual time" column.
Nox

Post by Nox »

Can you apply rounding after the fact?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Only manually on a punch by punch basis.
Nox

Post by Nox »

Is there any sort of default rounding that the system uses, or is it all based on what is setup?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

By default there is no rounding.
Nox

Post by Nox »

Can you change the actual punch that was gathered from a timeclock if needed? For instance, we have rounding turned on and it works perfectly. We had problems with the timeclock this morning and it wasn't accepting punches for a few users. We fixed the problem, but now they show their actual time as being late. Can we change the actual time or just the reported time?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

The only way to change the actual time is to delete the punch and re-insert a new one at the actual time you want. TimeTrex will then round that punch if rounding is enabled, but it will keep the original time entered as the "Actual Time".
Nox

Post by Nox »

Ok, we fixed those AM punches that had the wrong time. Over the past few days, we have noticed other things that appear to be rounding related:

Sometimes the actual time on an IN or OUT for lunch is 12:53, but is being reported as 12:54 as if it were rounding up.

We also have some users clocking in in the morning at 11:00 (actual time) and the system rounds them up to 11:15. They are scheduled to start at 11:00 am and there is a STRICT IN 15 minute rounding (to prevent overtime). There is no grace period set on that policy.

Why would the system round in either of those scenarios?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Its likely due to seconds. TimeTrex always rounds punches to the nearest minute regardless of any rounding policy, however it only shows hours and minutes in the interface.

So the actual time could be 12:53:59 (shown as: 12:53 in the interface) but TimeTrex would round that to 12:54:00 (shown as: 12:54).

Now when a 15min up rounding policy is activated, an actual time of 11:00:01 (shown as 11:00) without any grace period would be rounded up to 11:15:00 (shown as: 11:15)
Nox

Post by Nox »

Ok, the grace period fixed that, thanks!

How does the Start Stop window on a Schedule policy affect rounding?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

The Start / Stop window helps TimeTrex determine which schedule actually fits with the current punch.

For example if an employee is scheduled to start work at 8:00AM, but is called in at 5:00AM, the Start / Stop window would have to be at least 3 hours for TimeTrex to determine that the 5AM punch belongs to the 8:00AM schedule. This is used for strict rounding, in late, out early exceptions etc...

Of course there are cases where you may not want the 5:00AM punch to be considered part of the 8:00AM schedule, so the Start / Stop window needs to be set accordingly. Typically we recommend between 1-2hrs.