Transferring from Cloud-hosted to Self-hosted Environment

General support regarding TimeTrex, such as
configuring policies/taxes or processing payroll.
tcox

Transferring from Cloud-hosted to Self-hosted Environment

Post by tcox »

I am currently in the process of attempting to transfer all our Timetrex information (user data, time data, payment data, departments, etc.) from TimeTrex cloud hosting to a self-hosted environment.

Currently, I am having issues finding exactly how to do this. For user data, I transferred over profile information (name, email, etc.) to the self-hosted environment through the use of .csv file import and exports.

My main questions are;

Is there a way to do this for time data / payment data as well? Would I have to transfer over database files, and how would I be able to access those given on the current environment (cloud hosting)? I have experience with databases and would be able to do all this myself if I could find instructions on how to obtain the database files from TimeTrex cloud hosting.
shaunw

Re: Transferring from Cloud-hosted to Self-hosted Environment

Post by shaunw »

You would need to export reports in CSV from the cloud hosted instance and import them using the import wizard on the on-site instance of TimeTrex. Unfortunately this can't be done with all types of data though.
tcox

Post by tcox »

I was also reading up on the TimeTrex API; would I be able to use this to get the missing data?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Yes, of course. However it could potentially be weeks or months worth of work to do properly to any extent more than the export/import method. Keep in mind much of the data is interlinked with one another. So you can't just pull punches and import them. First you need all the prerequisite data such as employees, branches, departments, pay periods, policies, etc... Then you need to map IDs between the two systems. Branch ID: ABC in the cloud hosted instance might be Branch ID: XYZ in the on-site instance. Therefore you need to fully understand the order that all data must be handled and map every record to one another based on these IDs.To do fully and properly across the entire system its actually an extremely complex problem.

Finally you are likely to run into rate limiting issues too in our cloud environment.
tcox

Post by tcox »

Ok, thank you for all your help!