2 emails that I keep receiving about maintenance jobs and hostname

General support regarding TimeTrex, such as
configuring policies/taxes or processing payroll.
cerber98

2 emails that I keep receiving about maintenance jobs and hostname

Post by cerber98 »

Hello!

I keep getting the following messages every few days:
1. Hostname specified in TimeTrex config file does not match the accessed URL. Please go to your timetrex.ini.php file and set "hostname" to ... (my domain name)
2. Critical maintenance jobs have not run in the last 48hours. Please contact your TimeTrex administrator immediately.

For the hostname, I changed hostname in timetrex.ini.php to my domain name, but it keeps sending the same email. My domain name has a subdomain that I refer to (e.domainname.com). Is that a problem or is something else going on?

For the maintenance jobs, I notices that TimeTrex is not creating new pay periods automatically. Is that connected to the error message? How do I fix that?
I have the Community version 15.3.0 installed under ubuntu 18.04, and php 7.2.

Please help!
Thank you very much!
Alex.
shaunw

Re: 2 emails that I keep receiving about maintenance jobs and hostname

Post by shaunw »

The hostname specified in the timetrex.ini.php file must match the hostname in the web browser when accessing TimeTrex. For example if you access TimeTrex with "https://timetrex.mycompany.com/interface/html5/" then the hostname in the .ini file would be "timetrex.mycompany.com"

As for the maintenance jobs, if those aren't running then TimeTrex is not functioning correctly, including not creating new pay periods among about 100+ other things. To start troubleshooting this, you should find the exact command in cron that is being run and run it manually to see if any error messages appear.
cerber98

Post by cerber98 »

For the first issue, I access TimeTrex at e.mycompany.com/timetrex/interface/html5/, so I entered e.mycompany.com in timetrex.ini.php under hostname =… (near the bottom of the file). It seems correct, but it keeps emailing me about this. Maybe I need put quotation marks around the domain name? Or maybe it’s something else…
For the second issue, I looked in the crontabs (/var/spool/cron/crontabs) for user root and did not find any cron jobs that have to do with timetrex. Was it supposed to have been created during the installation? Or am I looking in the wrong spot?

Thanks,
Alex.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

The error message should tell you exactly what the hostname needs to be set to in the .ini file. It doesn't hurt to wrap it in quotes, ie:

Code: Select all

hostname = "e.mycompany.com"
The hostname does have to specified under the [other] section at the bottom of the file though.

As for the cron jobs, it depends on how you installed TimeTrex originally. Did you use the .ZIP file, or some other method to install it? How long ago did you originally install TimeTrex?
cerber98

Post by cerber98 »

I think I installed the zip file, although I originally had some issues with the installation (which I seem to have been sorted out, except this one, I guess) and also tried the .deb installation. I installed the package only a month ago.

Thanks,
Alex.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

If you installed from the .ZIP and the .DEB you likely have two installations of TimeTrex on your system conflicting with one another.
cerber98

Post by cerber98 »

I only have one folder named timetrex in the html folder. Where else could it have installed itself? What can I do to fix that? And where would the cron job be located, so I can check it?

Thanks!
Alex.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

You will want to use "dpkg -l" to see if the .DEB is installed in addition to the .ZIP file.
cerber98

Post by cerber98 »

It only lists timetrex-community-edition 15.2.1, no other installations.
What can I do now?

Thanks for your help!
Alex.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

So you definitely installed one copy at least using the .DEB file which places TimeTrex files in the /usr directory. If you have TimeTrex in /var/www/html as well, that is likely the .ZIP file installation, which makes two copies.
cerber98

Post by cerber98 »

So what do I do now? Do I autoremove the timetrex package? Do I uninstall everything and reinstall (if so, how do I uninstall everything and how do I keep the database?)

Thanks,
Alex.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

The first step would be to figure out which copy you are actually using, and uninstall the other one, making sure not to delete the database if they happen to be sharing the same one. Having good backups before making such changes is highly recommended.

You may want to consider purchasing a Professional Services package from TimeTrex to have them get it sorted out for you.