Slow message processing

General support regarding TimeTrex, such as
configuring policies/taxes or processing payroll.
parsonspr

Slow message processing

Post by parsonspr »

Hi,

when sending requests it sits on Processing for a long time.

I have attached the logfile. Do you need anything else?

thanks,
Phil
timetrex.log
(543.05 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
shaunw

Re: Slow message processing

Post by shaunw »

Your TimeTrex is unable to communicate with the update/notification server at https://www.timetrex.com, so it eventually gives up after 15 seconds or so and continues. You should make sure your TimeTrex server is able to communicate freely with www.timetrex.com to avoid such issues.
parsonspr

Post by parsonspr »

Thanks for this. Do you have a privacy policy that states exactly what information is being passed to timetrex.com? I was under the impression that if we hosted it locally that no information would need to be passed out of the network.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

You can find our privacy policy here: https://www.timetrex.com/terms

In terms of notifications themselves, the information simply gets passed through our servers to the necessary notification services (ie: Google, Apple, Mozzila [Firefox]). This prevents the need for every installation of TimeTrex to also require their own accounts and credentials to all those services directly. Either way though, for notifications to function at all, at least one third party will always be involved.

Your other option is to turn off all notifications within TimeTrex, which would also prevent the slowdowns you see when outgoing connections are blocked.

You could also block connections in a more efficient way as to result in an immediate connection error rather than hang open waiting for a timeout to occur.
parsonspr

Post by parsonspr »

Thanks for that.

Is it a particular part of the notification that needs to go to timetrex.com? I was under the impression that I'd set up email notifications to relay via our location exchange server:

[mail]
; Least setup, deliver email through TimeTrex's email relay via SOAP (HTTP port 80/443)
; Deliver email through remote SMTP server with the following settings.
delivery_method = smtp
; smtp_host=smtp.gmail.com
; smtp_port=587
; smtp_username=timetrex@gmail.com
; smtp_password=testpass123
; The domain that emails will be sent from, do not include the "@" or anything before it.
; *ONLY* specify this if "delivery_method" above is "smtp" or "mail"
email_domain = server01.wls.uk
; email_domain = mydomain.com
; The local part of the email address that emails will be sent from, do not include the "@" or anything after it.
; *ONLY* specify this if "delivery_method" above is "smtp"
email_local_part = timetrex
; email_local_part = DoNotReply
smtp_host = server01.wls.uk
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Notifications are real-time notifications sent to web-browsers and the mobile app. Not only do they allow for real-time notifications (such as when a message is received, a request is sent, an exception occurs, etc...) they also allow features like task queue handling and real-time data updates within the web UI. Over time they will be used more and more to make the web UI more interactive.

They are completely separate from emails, though some notifications may send emails too.
parsonspr

Post by parsonspr »

I have turned off the notifications other than email, but still appear to be getting a delay:
ttnotifications.PNG
timetrex.log
(26.61 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
does this still look like it's having issues contacting timetrex.com? should it be if I've sent the notification preferences? or are the notification preferences user specific?

thanks again,
Phil
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Logging isn't enabled on your system currently. If you go to Help -> About, click the more (three dot) icon at the top right, then click "Diagnostics: Enable", that will enable it, then replicate the slow operation then send the log again.
parsonspr

Post by parsonspr »

thanks, I have attached the log.
timetrex.log
(1.84 MiB) Downloaded 140 times
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

According to the log, TimeTrex is still attempting to send push notifications to the registered devices and since those are being blocked, they are causing slow downs. You will need to ensure you have disabled push notifications in the preferences of every employee to avoid this, as sending requests can notify any/all of the superiors and authorizing requests can notify the employee.
parsonspr

Post by parsonspr »

Thank you. Can this be done from the administrator account? Or does each user need to do this individually?
parsonspr

Post by parsonspr »

actually I've found where to set it.

thanks for your help.