Question about premium pay

General support regarding TimeTrex, such as
configuring policies/taxes or processing payroll.
kitt001

Question about premium pay

Post by kitt001 »

I've just setup TimeTrex to evaluate it for our hourly employees, but the thing that has me stumped (if it's even possible) is how to apply our premium differentials. We're a 24x7 shop - 1st shift 7am-3pm, 2nd shift 3pm-11pm, 3rd shift 11pm-7am ... 2nd shift is 1.05X base rate and 3rd shift is 1.10x base rate. It's all one department and anyone can be moved to any shift; so its the hours of the day being clocked that are important, not the people in this scenario.

I managed to figure this all out and it calculates properly with a bit of a caveat and this is where I'm stuck. Our company rules say that in order to qualify for the differential, the majority of your shift has to occur within the shift in question and only the hours worked within that shift are counted .. so for example, if someone clocks their day from 8am-4pm, or 9am-5pm; they shouldn't get 1 or 2 hours paid with the the second shift differential just because they started their shift slightly out of sync with the "official" shift hours.

I've found the setting that allows you to apply a "minimum hours", but this works by turning the 1 hour overage into however many hours were set as the minimum (the opposite of what I'm going for). Barring the ability to do the "majority shift" calculation (I figure that's wishful thinking), is there any way to say that X number of hours must occur within a certain shift in order to count it? For example, if we said that 3 hours were required in a given shift before the differential gets tacked on, a clock entry of 8-4 with it's 1 our overlap into 2nd shift wouldn't qualify, but 12-8 with it's 4 hour overlap would.

Perhaps there is an obvious answer that I'm over looking.
Thanks for any insight.
shaunw

Re: Question about premium pay

Post by shaunw »

TimeTrex can do exactly what you require (even the majority of shift rule) however it is considered more advanced functionality and therefore is only available in the paid Professional Edition or higher. There is also additional complexities around overtime (ie: FLSA overtime averaging) that you will likely need to handle, which the Professional Edition does too.

You can schedule a demo of the Professional Edition here: https://www.timetrex.com/request-demo