Trying to access an old Timetrex database via fresh install

Ask your questions regarding TimeTrex installation here.
QuestionMark

Trying to access an old Timetrex database via fresh install

Post by QuestionMark »

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to recover the database of an old community edition Timetrex version and migrate it to a new version. However I have had multiple issues and am at a point where I am not sure what else to do:

Old The old system was Windows 7 SP1 64 bit
The partition / boot drive got deleted, but I could recover the full TimeTrex folder
I am not exactly sure which version it is - but there also is an install file dated Sep 19, 2016.
So probably the version that was current at that time.

What I tried:

1) copy folder to new computer running Win 10 Pro 64 bit and install new, current version of TimeTrex on top of it for automatic upgrade.
This results in an error during installation, running timetrex/backup_database_for_upgrade.bat as the version of timetrex\postgresql\bin\pg_dumpall.exe is not compatible with the Windows version.

2) same as above, but running the 2016 installer, is not possible as the installer is not compatible with that Windows version

3) Creating a fresh Win 7 SP1 64 bit drive and copying the folder there. Using the new, current installer. This one gets stuck during installation when trying to back up the database. Same as in attempt 1.

4) Using the old installer on the Win 7 drive. Installation works at first, then I get the attached connection error1 during installation... if I click okay, the installtion continues. After finishing I get the attached error2. It seems the installed software is not usuable.

Also trying to run backup_database.bat in the original folder seems to not create a file.

Is it possible to have a fresh install of the old TimeTrex version on the Win 7 drive and copy over files to get access?
In this case, which files? I should have the old admin login data, so that is the only way I could imagine.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Error2.png
Error1.jpg
mikeb

Re: Trying to access an old Timetrex database via fresh install

Post by mikeb »

By default TimeTrex performs a backup (dump) of its database every night, so in theory, you should see five to seven separate .SQL files in your TimeTrex directory dated for each day they were taken. If they exist, then you can use those to restore from without having to take a new backup/dump.

Take a look at our FAQ regarding migrating TimeTrex from one computer to another to see if that helps at all:
https://help.timetrex.com/v16.0/communi ... to_another
TimeTrex Community Edition is developed and supported by volunteers.
Help motivate us to continue by showing your appreciation!