What does your company do if an employee misses punches?

Topics brought up by the TimeTrex open source community.
pifiu

What does your company do if an employee misses punches?

Post by pifiu »

I have a recurring problem in my small business in which employees constantly miss punches. It could be their Normal in punch, their lunch in, normal out, or any combination of them.

For months I have been patient and have made them do requests for the missed punches, and manually adjusting them based on their request message.

However it seems it is getting to a point where the burden is on me, not them. As I see it, in a way its to their advantage to not punch so they get an adjustment for a time period they said is what they punched in at based on their message. I think the point of the time clock is to avoid he said, she said hearsay.

What do you guys do in your company when this happens? I am thinking of simply sending a memo out saying, any missed punches will mean you will not get paid for the missed punch day. The reason for saying the whole day, is because what happens if they forget to punch out for the day, and the time keeps going even though they left before we closed for the day? If anything that would mean more hours.

Any ideas on properly enforcing any of these policies based on your experiences?
shaunw

Re: What does your company do if an employee misses punches?

Post by shaunw »

In our experience the best way to eliminate these issues is to make the punch process as easy as possible for the employees, this is most often done with a hardware device such as a timeclock that can be mounted in a convenient location like the front or back door that the employees walk by when they enter/leave the building. This eliminates any excuses since they had to walk past it anyways.

After that is becomes a management issue and making sure the incentive is for punching in/out, and not rewarding employees for "forgetting" to do so. If you hired an employee to perform a specific task, like answer the telephones, and they don't answer the phones, there would be consequences for that. Punching in/out is no different, it must be part of their job description, if they aren't doing it, they are not performing their job and there must be consequences.

You have to remember that human nature in general is to be lazy, so if there aren't any inherent incentives or consequences in place, no software in the world is going to change that.
pifiu

Re: What does your company do if an employee misses punches?

Post by pifiu »

Yes, what I am asking is what management procedures you guys are using for implementing.

Shaun I agree, the hardware device helps, but its very pricey! I have made a PC easily available to them just for punching in and out.