database for TimeTrex

Use this forum to discuss desired new features for TimeTrex
nitin

database for TimeTrex

Post by nitin »

Hello,

I have install TimeTrex on our Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop Version.
I want to know which database is used by TimeTrex? and How do I get backup of that database in linux?

Thanks in advance,
Nitin
shaunw

Re: database for TimeTrex

Post by shaunw »

The TimeTrex automated installer uses PostgreSQL by default and also automatically creates a backup of the database in the TimeTrex directory each night.
nitin

Post by nitin »

Thanks Shaun for your reply,

can you please know me full path of the database backup file?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Because TimeTrex allows you to install it anywhere you like, all I can tell you is that the backup file is inside the TimeTrex directory, where ever you installed it.
halflife

Post by halflife »

A quick question about the backup, does your setup take into account aging out the backups that the system makes every night? Or should the average user setup something like find /home/timetrex/timetrex/timetrex_database*.sql +mtime=8 -delete in a cron job?
halflife

Post by halflife »

A correction to my own post

find /home/timetrex/timetrex/timetrex_database*.sql -mtime+8 -delete

this searches the timetrex directory (in my case under user timetrex in /home/timetrex) for the file pattern timetrex_database*.sql (the naming scheme this install is using by default) and deletes them if they are more than 8 days old.

Ignore my first post, I have no idea where my mind was when I typed that first example command.
jjoelc

Post by jjoelc »

I'm more familiar with the windows version (I have installed on*buntu once, just for future reference, and to make sure the database restore from windows to linux and vice-versa would work properly {it does!} and because I would prefer to have it running on linux, but all of the available servers I had at the time were windows based....)

BUT... (after the long tangent) Timetrex by default keeps a rolling 5 days of database backups. I personally also setup a small bat file to copy those backups to an offsite backup location, and there I keep a rolling 30 days (If I'm going to make backups, I prefer to err on the paranoid side... But the thought of actually having to roll back a month in the time system scares me as much not having the backups!)