Rounding in Paystubs

General support regarding TimeTrex, such as
configuring policies/taxes or processing payroll.
jwmuliro

Rounding in Paystubs

Post by jwmuliro »

Hi,

I'm relatively new to this forum and hope someone can assist.

I have installed Timetrex 2.1.0 with no problems for Kenya, but find that on paystubs rounding is not done. In our paystubs we need rounding to the nearest whole number with nothing after the decimal such that any such decimal amounts are carried forward to the next pay period.

I would appreciate any help on this matter.

Thanks

JWM
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Unfortunately TimeTrex doesn't have any such functionality at this time.
jwmuliro

Rounding in Paystubs

Post by jwmuliro »

Thanks for the prompt response. I'll try and find a work-around for this. If I manage I'll post the details just in case there is someone out there with a similar problem.

JWM
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Do you require just rounding of the final net pay amount? Or rounding of each individual line item?
jwmuliro

Post by jwmuliro »

I only require rounding of the net amount to be paid. The reason is it is unusual for decimal amounts to be paid each month since with gradual erosion of our currency value over the years, its rare to actually consider or even use anything but whole number figures.

Sorry for delayed response. I was busy for a couple of days and forgot to check my mail.

JWM
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

There are of course ways to make it so the amounts are always whole numbers, but it involves modifying wage amounts, rounding punches to nearest intervals that don't cause fractional calculations, setting up deductions accordingly, etc...

It would be a fairly involved process, but doable.

Other then that it would require some custom development to make a pay stub rounding policy that would do what you are looking for.
jwmuliro

Post by jwmuliro »

Thanks for the effort you put in to help the community Shaun.

I think I'll try and create a paystub account for fractional amounts c/f and b/f then see if I can create a routine that I run on the database just after generating paystubs to move the fractional amounts to the appropriate account as required.

Not sure what this will entail as I'm also new to MySQL but I'll do a post if it works as expected.

Kind regards
JWM
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

I wouldn't recommend doing it directly from the database at all. That would be asking for trouble.

Thinking about this some more, it probably wouldn't be very difficult at all to add a Tax/Deduction calculation formula that would simply move the fractional amounts to a specified pay stub account. This would also give you the maximum flexibility, so you can enable it on a per employee/per pay stub account basis.

If you are interested, you could call our email our sales department and have them give you a quote for adding this feature, I would be surprised if it would be more then 3-4hours of work.
jwmuliro

Paystub rounding

Post by jwmuliro »

Thanks for that bit of advice.

JWM
jwmuliro

Rounding in Paystubs

Post by jwmuliro »

Hi, I'm back with one final question on rounding.

Is it possible to set up a recurring pay stub amendment that removes amounts that are fractional in net pay. If this is not possible, how might I set up a manual amendment probably to an accrual paysub account that I can add to or subtract from this account in each pay period and reflect balance on paystub?

Regards,
Joe
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

You can't do a recurring PS amendment as there is no automated way to do what you want with those.

But if you wanted to do this on a manual basis for each employee, you could create a regular PS Amendment to do it for you. It would be 100% manual though, and you would need to know exactly the amount for each employee.

To do this, you would need to create a "Fractional Accrual" pay stub account and a "Fractional Deduction" Employee Deduction account with the accrual account set to the Fractional Accrual you just created. Finally create a "Fractional Earning" account with the accrual account set to the Fractional Accrual as well.

Then, if an employees gross pay is: 1200.13 and after deductions their net pay is: 892.24, you can simply create a PS Amendment for the employee, with the Pay Stub Account being "Fractional Deduction" for the fixed amount of 0.24 with the effective date falling within the start/end date of the proper pay period.

This will tell TimeTrex to deduct 0.24 from the employees pay stub and because the "Fractional Deduction" account is linked to the "Fractional Accrual" accrual account, TimeTrex will automatically deposit that amount into the accrual account.

Then, whenever you feel like it, you can create a PS amendment to pay out the accrued fractional amounts by simply selecting the "Fractional Earning" pay stub account and setting the fixed amount or percentage of the accrual account.
jwmuliro

Rounding in Paystubs

Post by jwmuliro »

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for that clear reply. I will work manually for the time being until I've fully tested the system with all our data. At that point a permanent solution will be sought via a programmed resolution.

Kind regards
Joe[/b]