Pay period question

General support regarding TimeTrex, such as
configuring policies/taxes or processing payroll.
jlim

Pay period question

Post by jlim »

Using v.2.2.2

I setup user John Doe on a weekly time sheet.

JDOE enter timesheet from 1/6/2008 to 1/12/2008 (Verified)
JDOE enter timesheet from 1/13/2008 to 1/19/2008 (Verified)

Now when I go to the next period, it is showing dates from 1/16 to 1/31. It also says:

Previous Pay Period requires verification!

Why is that?

When login as ADMIN, under ADMIN -> Payroll -> Pay period schedules, selecting VIEW on the one I setup for weekly, it says:

1 Onsite Weekly N/A Sun, January 27 2008 12:00 AM Sat, February 02 2008 11:59 PM Tue, February 05 2008 12:00 PM
2 Onsite Weekly OPEN Sun, January 20 2008 12:00 AM Sat, January 26 2008 11:59 PM Tue, January 29 2008 12:00 PM [ View ] [ Edit ]
3 Onsite Weekly OPEN Sun, January 13 2008 12:00 AM Sat, January 19 2008 11:59 PM Tue, January 22 2008 12:00 PM [ View ] [ Edit ]
4 Onsite Weekly OPEN Sun, January 06 2008 12:00 AM Sat, January 12 2008 11:59 PM Tue, January 15 2008 12:00 PM [ View ] [ Edit ]
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Do you have more then one pay period schedule setup? Or did you at one point?
jlim

Post by jlim »

Yes, I have 2 pay periods setup. Part of our requirements is the ability to switch an employee from weekly to semi-monthly (and vice-versa).

I don't recall what I had JDOE initially setup as, as while testing I was changing his schedule back and forth.

I wanted to see how TimeTrex will handle such a situation.

It appears JDOE has timesheets entered as weekly and now even if I have JDOE set for weekly, the new period is showing him as semi-monthly.

What should I do? Or what's the best way to move one from different pay period?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

TimeTrex can handle switching employees from one pay period schedule to another, but it can be tricky depending on how you handle it.

It all comes down to timing. If you switch the employees pay period schedule on the exact day that it takes effect, its just a matter of changing the pay period schedule when editing the employee information. However if you are one day early or one day late, you will need to import the employees hours into the proper pay period manually.

So, for example:

Pay Period Schedule A: Weekly, starts on Monday
Pay Period Schedule B: Bi-Weekly starts on Monday

Management decides to switch John Doe from Weekly to Bi-Weekly on Jan 21st, but the payroll administrator is sick on that day and doesn't get around to doing it until Wednesday. So once the payroll administrator finally gets around to doing it, they need to switch the pay period schedule of the employee first, then go Admin -> Payroll -> Pay Period Schedules, click "View" beside the pay period schedule the employee is being switched to, then click "View" on the first pay period that the employee will be paid in and finally click the "Import" button.

What this does is tells TimeTrex to look through all the data in its database for all employees currently assigned to this pay period schedule for just the date range of the pay period you are viewing, and if it finds any data, import that data into this current pay period.

You can of course import data for any number of pay periods, so if you want to switch an employee for the last month, you can simply go to the last several pay periods and click the import button.
jlim

Post by jlim »

Thanks for the info.

I did give it a try and it works, but I have a few questions.

JDOE was setup as a weekly initially and have timesheet approved from Jan 13 to Jan 19.

Now I switch JDOE to bi-monthly and the timesheet from 1/20 to 1/26 says "Previous Pay Period requires verification".

If I do through with the verification process, everything works.

Does that mean even if I can switch an employee back and forth, but since weekly payroll schedule is never going to match a bi-monthly schedule, if a weekly timesheet was previously approved, one has to go through the approval process again?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

TimeSheet verifications are for a specific pay period, so if you switch an employee to another pay period that overlaps, the previous verification will be lost.