calculating auto time in lieu with autodeducted lunch

General support regarding TimeTrex, such as
configuring policies/taxes or processing payroll.
parsonspr

calculating auto time in lieu with autodeducted lunch

Post by parsonspr »

Hi,

I'm using v12.3.0.

We currently have an overtime policy in place (over schedule daily) and an undertime schedule policy (with Time in Lieu withdrawal and deposity pay formulas). We don't care what hours staff work, so I just set a schedule with 7:30 hours daily and they punch in and then out for lunch. All we have been concerned about is the total in-time and then the difference is added or subtracted.

However, we now have a staff member that can only clock in and out at the end of the day. I have tried to create a schedule policy with a meal policy that auto deducts 30mins each day. This seems to work ok, but the total time I need to enter onto the shift is 8 hours. The Time in Lieu (TIL) calculation then works off the 8 hour day and not the 7:30 'working time'.

Currently I have the meal policy auto deducting from Regular pay policy, but if I pick one of the TIL pay formulas that just subtracts an additional 30mins from the TIL account.

So for example on the 20th, it seems that the TIL deposit shouldn't exist.

thanks in advance for your help.
Phil
timetrex03.png
timetrex03.png (191.29 KiB) Viewed 272983 times
timetrex02.png
timetrex02.png (149.47 KiB) Viewed 272983 times
timetrex01.png
timetrex01.png (122.21 KiB) Viewed 272983 times
parsonspr

Re: calculating auto time in lieu with autodeducted lunch

Post by parsonspr »

Can anyone help with this? Am I missing something obvious?
thanks!
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

It likely has to do with which Pay Codes you are including in each regular time/overtime policy. However in order to assist you further we would need to see screenshots showing all relevant policies (regular time, overtime, etc...), their contributing shift policies, and their contributing pay codes in order to assist you further.
parsonspr

Post by parsonspr »

undertimepolicy.png
undertimepluslunchpolicy.png
TILpayformulawithdrawal.png
TILpayformuladeposit.png
TILpaycodewithdrawal.png
TILpaycode.png
overtimedailypolicy.png
Hi, I've added a few of these. Please let me know if you need anymore!
thanks,
Phil
shanec

Post by shanec »

We also need screenshots of the Contributing Shift Policies and Contributing Pay Codes associated with your Overtime and Regular Time Policies.
parsonspr

Post by parsonspr »

I've attached the only 2 that are used.
thanks.
Attachments
contributingshiftpolicy.png
contributingpaycodepolicy.png
shanec

Post by shanec »

Please provide screenshot(s) of any Regular Time Policies.
parsonspr

Post by parsonspr »

I only have the one regular time policy.
thanks.
regulartimepolicy.png
shanec

Post by shanec »

Use the "Regular Time + Meal + Break" Contributing Shift Policy with your "Regular Time" Regular Time Policy and recalculate the affected timesheet.
parsonspr

Post by parsonspr »

I only want this to apply to a couple of users. I want most of the employees to use the existing policy. Would it be better to create a new Regular Time policy which uses a different Contributing Shift Policy for these users?
thanks.

Have a good Christmas and New Year!
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Yes, that is correct.
parsonspr

Post by parsonspr »

Thanks for your help.

This is what I have so far:
undertimeplus30minlunchschedulepolicy.png
regulartimepolicylunch.png
policygroup.png
contributingshiftpolicy.png
30minlunchpolicy.png
Do I need to create a whole new policy group for this?

If someone has a fixed 30min lunch and another person has a fixed 60min lunch, do I just use a different meal policy?

thanks again,
Phil
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

parsonspr wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:36 am Do I need to create a whole new policy group for this?

If someone has a fixed 30min lunch and another person has a fixed 60min lunch, do I just use a different meal policy?
You can use a different Policy Group, or you can use different Schedule Policies assigned to each employees scheduled shifts. Each method has its advantages and disadvantages, so its really up to whatever works best for your situation.
parsonspr

Post by parsonspr »

Just to confirm, because I can't quite see how this works.

For my current system I have the schedule policy called undertime:
undertime.png
This doesn't reference any regular time policy here at all.

If I want to create a schedule policy that autodeducts a lunch then do I need to add the newly created regulartime policy here?
schedulepluslunch.png
What I want is for it not to matter when they work, the clock in/out times aren't important, all that's important is that the do the correct number of hours that day. If for example they work 8 hours then the clock in and out times should reflect that and include the lunch (e.g. 8am to 5pm), but automatically deduct the lunch (e.g. 1 hour in this case). So that they only build up overtime for time over 8 hours and loose banked time for time under 8 hours (even though schedule has 9 hours). Am I making any sense? Apologies if this is a bit confused.

I also have one staff member who will have a 30mins lunch to autodeduct and another having 1 hour. Is different schedule policies the best way to achieve this?

Apologies! I'm still a little confused.

thanks,
Phil
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

The auto-deduct lunch happens in the meal policy, not the regular time policy. Based on your screenshots, you already have three schedule policies for Undertime, Undertime + 30min Lunch and Undertime + 60min Lunch. As long as the meal policies references in those schedule policies are setup to auto-deduct lunch, then they should work for you. If they don't, then you will likely need to create new schedule and meal policies that do.
parsonspr

Post by parsonspr »

Hi,

so I think I have the autodeduct working when the employee works over their regular hours:
timesheetregularwrong.png
it seems as though the 30mins meal deduction is split between pairs of punch in/outs, but always sums to the correct total.

However, as you can see from the 14/01/2021, when the hours worked is less than expected, then for some reason it is correcting the regular time. I can't see why that would be from my schedule or meal policies. What am I doing wrong?

thanks!
scheduleautodeduct.png
mealautodeduct.png
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Please provide specific details as to what you are expecting all the numbers to appear as on Jan 14th?
parsonspr

Post by parsonspr »

Oh sorry!

Yes, on each day the schedule will say 10am to 18:00 covering 8 hours. The autodeducted lunch should reduce the expected working hours to 7:30.
I'm not concerned if the employee works 9am to 17:00, just that they do their 7:30 hours each day.

So if they do over 7:30 it gets banked to the Time in Lieu accrual account and if they do less then it gets taken away. On the 14th, I would have expected it to take 60mins from the Time in Lieu accrual account.

Currently I have it so that the 30mins lunch is autodeducting 30mins from the Time in Lieu accrual account. Any time worked over is being added too, but any time worked under isn't being deducted.

thanks again.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Jan 13th seems to be the odd looking day to me, as its both depositing and withdrawing from the accrual. It appears how your accruals are calculated are mismatched so they aren't be calculated the same.
parsonspr

Post by parsonspr »

Hi Shaun,

thanks for your help with this. I'm definitely doing something wrong, I just can't quite see what it is!!

I've just run some calculations on each day for that week.
timescalc.png
Sum Amount is the sum of all the times Used and Banked on that day.

I then have calculated the total minutes worked and subtracted that the from scheduled work time (7:30 hours = 450mins) and then also deducted the 30min lunch.

The 11th, 12th and 15th agree with what I would expect.

On the 13th, I think it should be -30mins for the lunch +2mins deposit, but not the 28mins deducted.

On the 14th, I think it should be -30mins then -1 hour deducted.

It looks like the deduction of TIL works on the 8 hours in the schedule and doesn't account for the -30mins lunch.

Thanks,
Phil
shanec

Post by shanec »

Please provide us with a screenshot of the scheduled shift details related to January 13, 2021 by clicking Attendance -> Schedules, the date (January 13, 2021) and then the Edit icon.
parsonspr

Post by parsonspr »

Hi Shane,

Here it is:
jan13sched.png
thanks,
Phil
shanec

Post by shanec »

Please provide us with screenshots of the "Undertime + 1/2 hour lunch" Schedule Policy and its associated policies (overtime, meal etc.)
parsonspr

Post by parsonspr »

Hi Shane,

here are the other policies.
schedulepluslunch.png
lunchpolicy.png
thanks,
Phil
shanec

Post by shanec »

Please associate the "Lunch Time" Pay Code with the "30min Lunch" Meal Policy, Save the change and recalculate the affected timesheet.