Multiple Notification Emails After Upgrade to 14

Topics brought up by the TimeTrex open source community.
techmanexpress

Multiple Notification Emails After Upgrade to 14

Post by techmanexpress »

Prior to 14, I used to get a single notification email when a request authorization would come in for a time punch miss. Now, it seems like I get them once an hour until they are actually fulfilled and addressed. I can't seem to figure out a way to shut this off. I don't mind a single email, but I don't need emails continuously about it. Does anyone else have this issue, or had it and can help me out?

Thanks!
shaunw

Re: Multiple Notification Emails After Upgrade to 14

Post by shaunw »

That definitely should not be happening. When logged into TimeTrex, if you click the bell icon at the top right, do you see multiple notification records there that match with each email that you received?

Are you able to attach screenshots of two or three of the emails for the same request here including the date/times they were sent too?
techmanexpress

Post by techmanexpress »

Hello, thanks!

When I click the bell, I only see each notification one time. I see one line item for each time edit request. So to answer your question, no, I do not see one that matches each email only. But I do see that I am getting multiple emails for each one.

So I have been deleting them, but I found one. The initial request came in on Sept 15 @ 3:07 Local time here. I can confirm there is only one request in the system, but I got three emails at 3:08, 3:11 & 3:27. The emails are all identical. And actually, each email says it was sent at the exact same time at the time stamp on the bottom. I have an attachment here with personal information blotched out, shows sent times.

I can say sometimes the delay is an hour or so between them, it doesn't seem consistent.

Thanks for your help!
Attachments
timetrex error.png
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

So the timestamp at the bottom of the email all being the exact same second is likely the smoking gun here. You censored the email addresses, but if they are all going to the same email address, and they are arriving tens of minutes apart, but the timestamp at the bottom of the email body is the exact same second, then TimeTrex is almost certainly only sending the email once, but its definitely not sending multiple emails tens of minutes apart.

If you like, you can send support@timetrex.com an email and attach the full uncensored emails with their full headers and bodies (usually you can save the email as a file, then attach that file) and reference this forum thread and we will be happy to take a closer look to be 100% sure.
techmanexpress

Post by techmanexpress »

Thank you, I did that just now. I appreciate the assist.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

We received your email, however the attached duplicate email files all seem to be substantially modified from what TimeTrex actually sends, but they definitely were sent at different times, which is strange. Checking the timestamps themselves, they are as follows:

Code: Select all

Mon, 20 Sep 2021 17:45:45
Mon, 20 Sep 2021 17:48:42
Mon, 20 Sep 2021 18:04:42
Mon, 20 Sep 2021 19:05:43
Mon, 20 Sep 2021 23:05:41
Tue, 21 Sep 2021 07:05:46
This closely matches the expotential backoff timings that TimeTrex uses when it attempts to send an email and the email is reported back to it as a failed attempt. It will wait 2 mins and try again. If it still fails it waits 15mins, then 1hr, 4hrs, 8hrs, 24hrs, 48hrs then finally gives up.

Are you able to reproduce this issue everytime an employee submits a request? If so, please follow the "Providing Additional Diagnostic Information" steps described in our FAQ here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=89

On the step #3 (Reproducing the Issue), have an employee send a request, then wait until you receive at least two email notifications (likely 15-20mins) before continuing to the next step of that guide.
techmanexpress

Post by techmanexpress »

Sorry, I did not see this. I was expecting a reply to the ticket and didn't check the post here. I'm going to turn on notifications. I will respond to your request as soon as I am able.
techmanexpress

Post by techmanexpress »

So, I changed the SMTP server. I setup one on-premises that timetrex sends to, then the SMTP server relays through Office 365 instead of having TimeTrex do it directly. I have a feeling that additional security protocols being implemented are not supported by whatever mechanism sends out emails for Timetrex. That did resolve my issue. Thanks for pointing us in teh right direction. Have a good one!